On a recent trip to Indianapolis (my hometown), I had the privilege of joining Mina and Karen of HGTV’s Good Bones for coffee and a chat about their thriving career. This mother-daughter home remodeling duo is hilarious (as you’ll hear). Karen, a former practicing lawyer, and her daughter, Mina, decided to say “no thank you” to the typical 9 to 5 career, took a risk with money she had saved in an IRA and started a thriving remodeling business in Indianapolis. And then, one day, HGTV came calling, and the rest is history.
What You’ll Learn
This was one of my very favorite interviews. Not only were we sitting in a super cool coffee shop in Indianapolis, but I was so inspired by Mina and Karen’s story of taking risks, charting your own path, and having a sense of humor about the moments that don’t work out. Not everyone gets a call from HGTV, but I think we can all aspire to find a career that we feel good about and helps other people at the same time!
- Mina shares how she wisely invested in an IRA in college and those funds ended up funding their very first home purchase
- Find out how they choose their remodeling projects and hear some great stories about some of the craziest houses they’ve worked on
- Be inspired by Mina’s pledge to not work a typical 9 to 5 and why she decided to take the risk of starting a remodeling business
- They share the story of how HGTV came calling and why they thought it was a shady call and so not real
- Learn how they’ve continued to grow their career and why they’re not resting solely on HGTV’s success
SUBSCRIBE & REVIEW
Want to be the first to know when new episodes are released? Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
Also, podcast reviews are super important to iTunes and the more reviews we have, the more we can spread the Millennial Money message (those iTunes algorithms are crazy). I’d be honored if you left a review and let me know what you love about the podcast.
Have an Ask Shannah question, submit it here
Shannah Compton Game is a Money Wellness expert, host of the to-rated Millennial Money podcast, and CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER with an MBA. Millennial Money has over 15 million downloads in 164 countries. Shannah’s years of experience as a skilled Certified Financial Planner have set her on a mission to revolutionize how people think, act, and feel about their finances…and have some fun doing so.