“There’s a difference between simply making money and building wealth. The former is what you do while you’re awake to generate cash flow. The latter is made in your sleep.” In this episode, John Hope Bryant, entrepreneur, philanthropist, author, and thought leader shares how to be financially empowered, how to build financial inclusion, the power of financial literacy, the #1 money lesson you need to know, and how you build wealth starting with this.
Referred to as the Conscious of Capitalism by Ed Bastian, CEO of Delta Air Lines, and James Herbert, Chairman and CEO of First Republic Bank, John Hope Bryant is an American entrepreneur, author, philanthropist, and prominent thought leader on financial inclusion, economic empowerment, and financial dignity. He is named as Atlanta Business Chronicle’s “The Power 100: Most Influential Atlantans in 2020”, and American Banker magazine’s 2016 “Innovator of the Year”, and one of Time magazine’s “50 Leaders for the Future”.
Mr. Bryant is the Founder, Chairman, and CEO of Operation HOPE, Inc. the largest non-profit, best-in-class provider of financial literacy, and economic empowerment services in the United States for youth and adults. He is also the Chairman and CEO of Bryant Group Ventures and Founder and Principal of The Promise Homes Company, which is the largest minority-controlled owner of single-family rental homes in the United States. Five former U.S. presidents have recognized his work, and he has served as an advisor to three sitting U.S. presidents from both political parties.
He is responsible for financial literacy becoming the policy of the U.S. federal government. He has received hundreds of awards and citations for his work, including Oprah Winfrey’s Use Your Life Award, and the John Sherman Award for Excellence in Financial Education from the U.S. Treasury. He is the author of bestselling books Up From Nothing, The Memo, How the Poor Can Save Capitalism, and Love Leadership.
What You’ll Learn
- Why is financial literacy a new civil rights issue
- Ways to become financially empowered
- How to develop true wealth and why it matters
- How to escape the feeling like there will never be enough money
- John’s journey into financial literacy
- John’s #1 financial lesson that you need to learn
- Financial Literacy For All https://www.fl4a.org
- Operation HOPE https://operationhope.org
- Up From Nothing Book https://amzn.to/3gPrKVp
- Wealthy Gardener Book https://amzn.to/3wRKcnq
- The Money Tree Book https://amzn.to/2SgNTUp
- Work Your Money, Not Your Life Book https://amzn.to/3gSyS3y
- Passive Income, Aggressive Retirement Book https://amzn.to/3qhiuh2
- Happy Money Book https://amzn.to/2TQpk1d
- Holistic Wealth Book https://amzn.to/3cXwOG4
- Plant Your Money Tree Book https://amzn.to/3j02Oxs
- Invested Book https://amzn.to/3jcJUn9
Big thanks to our sponsors who make this podcast possible!
Meet the eco-friendly, FREE online shopping service called Olive. When you shop with Olive, you’ll get consolidated, cardboard-free deliveries from over 100 of your favorite fashion sites. And you can return any items you don’t want without ever leaving your home! Check it out at http://www.shopolive.com and enjoy!
FOLLOW & SHARE
Want to be the first to know when new episodes are released – bit.ly/millennial-money.
Sign up for my weekly Let’s Talk Money email newsletter http://bit.ly/mmptalkmoney.
Have an Ask Shannah question, submit it here https://www.mmoneypodcast.com/contact-me/
Shannah on Twitter https://twitter.com/shannahgame
Shannah on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/shannahgame/
Shannah Compton Game is a Money Wellness expert, host of the to-rated Millennial Money podcast, and CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER with an MBA. Millennial Money has over 15 million downloads in 164 countries. Shannah’s years of experience as a skilled Certified Financial Planner have set her on a mission to revolutionize how people think, act, and feel about their finances…and have some fun doing so.