The recent Varsity Blues scam rocked the news media, but the storyline isn’t a shock to me. I’ve been all too aware that many wealthy people have been able to scam the system for years now. Adebisi Adebowale, the founder of Upliftology, joins us to talk about the scandal and uncover if it is possible for students to get a GOOD education in an Ivy League or non-Ivy League without scamming the system?
What You’ll Learn
- What the Varsity Blues scandal brings to light
- What changes need to occur in the college system to bring fairness to all
- The facts behind how this scam was facilitated at multiple levels
- How to use scholarships to afford college and grad school and not need to scam
- the system
- The issues of privileges, the elite, and the impacts on students of color applying to predominately white institutions.
- Adebisi’s TEDx Talk
- You can sign up now for a free month of Stitcher Premium by going to stitcherpremium.com/wondery and using the promo code ‘WONDERY.’ Then once you’re signed up, just download the Stitcher app for iOS or Android and start listening
SUBSCRIBE & SHARE
Want to be the first to know when new episodes are released? Click here to subscribe in iTunes! IT’S FREE!
Want to have a cup of coffee this week on us? Leave a review in iTunes and email a copy of your review to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have an Ask Shannah question, submit it here
Shannah Compton Game is a podcast host and CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER of the top-rated Millennial Money podcast. Millennial Money has over 6-million downloads in 164 countries. Shannah’s years of experience as a skilled Certified Financial Planner have set her on a mission to revolutionize how people think, act, and feel about their finances…and have some fun doing so.